Friday, January 25, 2013

The destination.

She has a driver named eddy. Eddy is an Armenian transplant, been in Rome for years. Really sweet guy who drives like a maniac! He has mastered the streets of Rome and can cut off a bus like a pro. I never felt in any danger because he was just so assured and confident. Talking and pointing out the sights while me and my daughter caught up a bit. He drives like a Dragon fly flies. Zip, zip zoom.

We drop off my daughter at her work, and Eddy gets me to her apartment, it's a nice building.
The elevator barely holds Eddy, Me and my luggage- Eddy says everything in Rome is little. Honestly, the showers in Rv's are bigger than that elevator! The lock is being difficult and after much struggling the doorman is summonsed to open it- takes him less than half a second. Eddy leaves after seeing my luggage and me safely in

I unpack a bit and wait for my daughter and The Italiano to get home. I'm so incredibly happy to be here. I have a smile on that just wont stop. Even here, in their little apartment I'm just so happy. Finally, actually not very long, The Italiano and my daughter get home. He starts cooking dinner- she can't really cook- life in Italy I find out revolves around food. Not food like we have in America where my idea of an appetizer is potato chips, real food- he slices bread- I ask for butter- Big mistake- he says no, and gives me instead some olive oil for dipping, cheese and a glass of wine- I can get used to this for real! Who needs butter? Not me!
Dinner is pasta with clams and a chili tomato sauce. Wow! Clams are one of my favorites. Then there is more pasta with pesto and clams. - for dessert there is a chocolate volcano that is delicious and gelato.

After 23 hours awake, all this food is really welcome. More wine, more wine, lots of laughter and I'm out!

I'm sleeping with my daughter- we fell asleep around 1am, remember- I'm in a different time zone and I've been up for 23 hours now. She wakes up at like 4am- I can hear her. I feign sleep but like the little girl she was on Christmas mornings, she knows I'm awake- "momma" she whispers, "I can't sleep, I'm too excited!"
"Me too" I say
"Let's go for a walk"
I'm thinking- this girl is crazy but okay, I'm here, I'm awake, why not?
I pull on my sweatshirt as she tells The Italiano we are going out- he says something- but I'm not sure what it was- he's sleeping on the couch (poor guy).
I put on my slippers because I think we are just going for a walk around the block. Wrong. It's now around 4:45am, maybe 5 latest- I'm not sure but it is dark. She heads across the street- there's a McDonald's there- nope, they don't open until 11am she says. We are standing on the sidewalk when a bus pulls up. She grabs me to get on the bus! Please note here, I have my pajama shirt and pants on under my sweatshirt, and my slippers!
" Hey", I say, "where are we going?"
"You'll see"
"I have my pjs on!"
"It's okay, no one will know"
Jeesh. Like a kid on Christmas really! We get off the bus after 10 stops or so and turn down this alley- it's dark and its early and there is no one in sight. I'm a little freaked out but she isn't. Who is this brave, or crazy, girl?
We turn another corner and see a sign that says "Bar". There are a few guys standing around outside of it. We go in. Alrighty, evidently bar in Italy is not bar in America, it's a coffee bar. I order a cappuccino, I get the smallest cup of cappuccino I have ever seen! It's so tiny, like my moms miniature tea set. Cute.

Rome in the early hours is so peaceful. We pass pilgrims, or homeless, sleeping in an alcove. Just walking around its so quiet, no cars, no scooters, no crowds. Just Rome, My daughter and me, what a fantastic way to greet the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment