Friday, January 18, 2013

Day One and Two- The Journey

I decided right away that I was not going to miss one moment looking towards the next one. The journey is just as exciting as the destination.

I'm on the plane that's taking me to LAX, I have the whole row to myself!
Airplanes always make that loud revving the engine sound before take off and it makes you think maybe that's they're way of testing the brakes- it gets my blood racing. They make me turn off my tablet. See you in LA!

I'm feeling absolutely so grateful for this trip- we are starting our decent now - I was going to say I can't wait to get there but getting there and being here now. That's awesome- just loving the moment, the anticipation and the thrill of it.
Amazing view out my window- good morning California.
Final approach now. Everything off :(



After 5 hours in LAX- something I do not recommend to anyone- they (Air France) made me leave one of my bags or wanted me to pay $100 to take it- no way am I wasting that much so they can bring an extra bag that weighs 10 lbs! Fortunately, my best friend who lives in LA, was planning on meeting me and I gave him the bag after transferring the 10 lbs to my carry-on. We have great lunch that he brought me and we catch up on old times. We have been best friends since high school and although we don't see each other often, he's like a brother to me. I give him the bag with pink flowers and green sea turtles and although we make a joke about how he's going to look on the train ride back to work in downtown LA, he takes the bag without a fuss at all.

I am finally boarding my Paris leg. This plane is huge!!!!! 516 passengers and everyone squished together on seats you can only find in the air.- I know the drill- gas is expensive- more people=same gas consumption blah blah blah. Ok that's absolutely all the complaining I will do.- there is this wired thingy on the seat back in front of me which looks like a phone but has no numbers- I'm hoping someone knows what it is.
I was thinking the problem with leaving the US, is how we expect everyone to speak English. My seat mate is Russian, she doesn't speak English or she doesn't know how, the guy on the end of our row is French(?). I met a very nice woman in the waiting area who spoke only Italian. We had a very nice conversation, I made it up in my head. I have no idea what she really said, but! Big But, she did come and find me to tell me that it was time to board. So gratzi to her!
I think it's kinda funny that right before I left his sight, my husband said- don't talk to strangers!
How can I do that? Me?

Ok Air France people think we all speak French first. Then English but it still kinda sounds French to me.

Oh- the thingy in front of me are speakers! To plug headphones in!
Guess nothing is on right now. Bummer. Later.

Oh yea- so ken says not to talk to strangers and I talked to a guy on the first leg from Sacramento who told me where the terminal was ( I didn't listen, still got lost) - then I talked to this very nice lady from Cameroon, then the Italian lady and finally a couple of people in the boarding line- oh yea and two really cute and friendly little girls heading to Dubai.
Ok- according to the captain we should be pushing off by now....or now.... We leave Paris an hour and a half later than we should have. (there's snow here)


The plane flew over the alps. Wow. I'm used to the Sierra Nevada mountain range. The alps look completely different. The Sierra Nevada range is one long continuous range- the alps are all pushed together- looks like the are angry- sharp peaks. In a way it's like someone crunched a piece of paper into a ball and buried half, leaving the other half showing in a weird and amazing topography. I keep using amazing but it is. One thing I notice first in my first glimpse of Rome from up above is that the city looks so green! I was expecting something more urban. All I can see are green stretches and a buildings and more green. Why, did no one tell me it was green? It is beautiful, trees, parks, I thought I caught a glimpse of the colosseum and it was surrounded by green.
gorgeous city from the air.

I arrive in Rome finally, still not listening to Kens advice about talking, I had a vey nice conversation on the plane with a gentleman from Napoli. He has two teenage boys. Evidently there are daredevils in Napoli too. We call it Naples. Anyways, I get my bag and head out to leave the airport. I walked though those doors and literally into the arms of my daughter! She had told me she was sending a car but there she was. That was better than the Alps.
She is so happy, I am so happy. I admit, I cried a bit. Happy tears.




No comments:

Post a Comment